* 19 May 1896 in New York
ƚ 19 March 1979
As one of the first women she earns her PhD in biochemistry from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University (now Rockefeller Institute).
During the following 12 years
- she works at the Rockefeller Institute in the Department of Chemotherapy and later in the Department of Organic Chemistry
- she studies mathematics and atomic physics at the Swiss Technical Institute in Zurich
- she also takes courses to study homeopathic medicine in Geneva
During the following years
- she explores alternative healing methods including homeopathy, osteopathy, chiropractic, yoga, the Alexander Technique and Alfred Korzybski's work on States of Consciousness
- she explores the impact gravity has on our body and recognizes that well-being and vitality depend on the balance of the human body's structure in gravity.
Her researches are dedicated to the essential question about which requirements need to be fulfilled for the human body structure to be consistent with gravity so that the whole human being could function in an optimal and ergonomic way.
She discovers that gravity, as organizing element, is significant for our human body structure, movement coordination, spatial perception and expressiveness.
1953 She teaches her first official class in the US.
1958 She develops the 10 series.
She founds the Rolf Institute for Structural Integration as an educational centre and professional organization.
She publishes her book: Rolf I. Rolfing: The Integration of Human Structures. Santa Monica, CA: Dennis-Brown; 1977
Dr Rolf has left a vital method being applied by more than 2000 Certified Rolfers™. She herself is regarded as one of the pioneers in the field of manipulation of connective tissue and movement education/kinetics.
“Rolfing® does not “cure” symptoms. The goal of Rolfing® is a more resilient, higher-energy system. The organism then is itself better able to defend against illness and overcome stress, and the greater energy does its own beneficial work in healing and relaxing. Rolfing does not achieve perfection: it begins a process.”
Ida P. Rolf, Ida Rolf Talks about Rolfing® and Physical Reality
(the Rolf Institute, Rosemary Feitis, 1978)